Of interest to pharmaceutical, nutritional, and biomedical researchers, as well as individuals and companies involved with alternative therapies and and herbal products, this database is one of the world's leading repositories of ethnobotanical data, evolving out of the extensive compilations by the former Chief of USDA's Economic Botany Laboratory in the Agricultural Research Service in Beltsville, Maryland, in particular his popular Handbook of phytochemical constituents of GRAS herbs and other economic plants (CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1992). In addition to Duke's own publications, the database documents phytochemical information and quantitative data collected over many years through research results presented at meetings and symposia, and findings from the published scientific literature.
The current Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical databases facilitate plant, chemical, bioactivity, and ethnobotany searches. A large number of plants and their chemical profiles are covered, and data are structured to support browsing and searching in several user-focused ways. For example, users can
- get a list of chemicals and activities for a specific plant of interest, using either its scientific or common name
- download a list of chemicals and their known activities in PDF or spreadsheet form
- find plants with chemicals known for a specific biological activity
- display a list of chemicals with their LD toxicity data
- find plants with potential cancer-preventing activity
- display a list of plants for a given ethnobotanical use
- find out which plants have the highest levels of a specific chemical
References to the supporting scientific publications are provided for each specific result. Also included are links to nutritional databases, plants and cancer treatments and other plant-related databases.
- Data Dictionary (preliminary)csv Dataset data dictionary
This Data Dictionary describes the columns for each table. [Note that this...
- Pointer to web-based databasehtml
This is the online interface to the database.
Dr. Duke's Phytochemistry and Ethnobotany - raw database tables for archival...
|Release Date|| |
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|| |
Ag Data Commons
|Temporal Coverage|| |
January 1, 1970
|Contact Name|| |
|Public Access Level|| |
|Program Code|| |
005:040 - Department of Agriculture - National Research
|Bureau Code|| |
005:18 - Agricultural Research Service