Red Bluff Research Ranch is a 13,750-acre ranch is part of the Montana Agricultural Experiment station, and associated with Montana State University in Bozeman, MT. The ranch occupies most of the once thriving late 19th- to early 20th-century gold mining community in the Hot Springs Mining District, which was second only in gold production to Alder Gulch. The ranch nearly surrounds the town of Norris. Historically about 900 head of sheep were maintained year-round at the research ranch. The livestock, as well as the rangeland, are used for both teaching and research. Sheep nutrition studies included nutrition levels, management practices and sheep behavior. Animal scientists look at breeding as a major way to improve livestock production. Hybridization was studied in sheep to help predict staple length, open faces, smoothness and body conformation related to better and more meat. These data include ewe and lamb body condition, breeding and production data from 1960-2012.
Supported/funded by Montana State University College of Agriculture, Montana Agricultural Research Service, Montana Wool Lab., and the USDA Agricultural Research Service.
|Release Date|| |
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Area|| |
POINT (-111.65843778879 45.550475417443)
Ag Data Commons
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|| |
Between 1955 and 1958, the Towne, Girvin and Boldt properties, located just west of the Montana State University campus, were purchased for use in livestock experiments and teaching. In 1956, 13,000 acres were acquired at Red Bluff, a ranch 30 miles west of Bozeman. The Red Bluff Range Research facility was used for range nutrition and breeding studies with cattle and sheep in cooperative studies with U.S.D.A. and the Animal Husbandry Department and for teaching opportunities.
|Temporal Coverage|| |
January 1, 1960 to December 31, 2012
|Contact Name|| |
|Public Access Level|| |
|Program Code|| |
005:040 - Department of Agriculture - National Research
|Bureau Code|| |
005:18 - Agricultural Research Service