This dataset includes soil health, crop biomass, and crop yield data for a 13-year corn stover harvest trial in central Iowa.
Following the release in 2005 of the Billion Ton Study assessment of biofuel sources, several soil health assessments associated with harvesting corn stover were initiated across ARS locations to help provide industry guidelines for sustainable stover harvest. This dataset is from a trial conducted by the National Laboratory for Agriculture and Environment from 2007-2021 at the Iowa State University Ag Engineering and Agronomy farm. Management factors evaluated in the trial included the following.
- Stover harvest rate at three levels: No, moderate (3.5 ± 1.1 Mg ha-1 yr-1), or high (5.0 ± 1.7 Mg ha-1 yr-1) stover harvest rates.
- No-till versus chisel-plow tillage. Originally, the 3 stover harvest rates were evaluated in a complete factorial design with tillage system. However, the no-till, no-harvest system performed poorly in continuous corn and was discontinued in 2012 due to lack of producer interest.
- Cropping sequence. In addition to evaluating continuous corn for all stover harvest rates and tillage systems, a corn-alfalfa rotation, and a corn-soybean-wheat rotation with winter cover crops were evaluated in a subset of the tillage and stover harvest rate treatments.
- One-time additions of biochar in 2013 at rates of either 9 Mg/ha or 30 Mg/ha were evaluated in a continuous corn cropping system.
The dataset includes:
1) Crop biomass and yields for all crop phases in every year.
2) Soil organic carbon, total carbon, total nitrogen, and pH to 120 cm depth in 2012, 2016, and 2017. Soil cores from 2005 (pre-study) were also sampled to 90 cm depth.
3) Soil chemistry sampled to 15 cm depth every 1-2 years from 2007 to 2017.
4) Soil strength and compaction was assessed to 60 cm depth in April 2021.
These data have been presented in several manuscripts, including Phillips et al. (in review), O'Brien et al. (2020), and Obrycki et al. (2018).
- Iowa Stover Harvest Trial Data Dictionaryxlsx Dataset data dictionary
Data dictionary for all data files.MD5:
- Field 70-71 Plot Status 2007-2021xlsx
This file contains descriptions of experimental treatments and diagrams of...MD5:
- R Script for Phillips et al. 2022Data
This R script includes analysis and figures for Phillips et al. "Thirteen-...MD5:
- Field 70-71 ConeIndex_BulkDensityDepths_2021csv
This dataset provides an assessment of soil strength (penetration resistance...MD5:
- Field 70-71 CornYield_2008-2021csv
This dataset provides corn stover biomass and grain yields from 2008-2021....MD5:
Average May temperatures during the study period, obtained from...MD5:
Daily rainfall for the study location, 2008-2021. Data were obtained from...MD5:
- Field 70-71 Crop Yield File 2008-2020xlsx
Yields for all crops in all cropping sequences, 2008-2020. Some of the crop...MD5:
- Field 70-71 Deep Soil Cores 2012-2017xlsx
Soil carbon, nitrogen, organic matter, and pH to 120 cm depth in 2012, 2016...MD5:
- Field 70-71 Baseline Deep Soil Cores 2005csv
Baseline soil carbon, nitrogen, and pH data from an earlier trial in 2005,...MD5:
- Field 70-71 Surface Soil Test Data 2007-2021xlsx
Soil chemistry data, 0-15 cm, collect near-annually from 2007 to 2021. Most...MD5:
|Release Date|| |
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Area|| |
POINT (-93.76448 42.017584)
Ag Data Commons
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|| |
|Temporal Coverage|| |
October 1, 2007 to May 1, 2021
|Contact Name|| |
|Public Access Level|| |
|Program Code|| |
005:040 - Department of Agriculture - National Research
|Bureau Code|| |
005:18 - Agricultural Research Service